Meet the first in their class.
Indiana University East women's basketball coach Tiffani Selhorst has announced her first 11 commitments for the first Red Wolves NAIA women's basketball team.
"I'm really excited about this class," Selhorst said. "It's kind of a science to put a team together. It's not just about talent, but also about personalities and chemistry and some of the things they can do on the court that can bring them together. I'm really happy and excited to see how this team is shaping up with these girls so far."
The new Red Wolf pack includes two current IU East students in addition to nine high school seniors.
The high school commitments include two sets of teammates. Ten of the future Red Wolves are from Indiana. The 11th is from Selhorst's high school in Ohio.
IU East's first NAIA women's basketball roster will include, in alphabetical order:
* Mackenzie Boles - Mackenzie is a 5-10 forward from Lapel (Ind.) High School. Mackenzie averaged 12.3 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2.0 assists and 2.3 steals per game as a junior while playing through a lower leg injury.
* Da'Sha Boyd - Da'Sha is a 5-7 guard from Anderson (Ind.) High School. Da'Sha was an all-area selection as a junior for an Anderson team that went 18-6.
* Mackenzie Campbell - Mackenzie is a 5-8 wing from Rushville (Ind.) Consolidated High School. Mackenzie averaged 15.1 points and 4.0 rebounds per game as a junior to help Rushville to a 22-4 record and a spot in Indiana's Class 3A Final Four.
* Kaitlin Dobbins - Kaitlin is a 5-9 guard from Lapel (Ind.) High School. Kaitlin stuffed the stat sheet to the tune of 7.8 points, 3.5 rebounds, 3.4 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.5 blocks per game as a junior.
* Taylor Hatfield - Taylor in a 5-4 guard from Triton High School in Bourbon, Ind. Taylor averaged 14.1 points, 2.0 assists and 2.0 steals per game as a junior as Triton finished 17-6 and won a second consecutive conference championship.
* Kristen Miller - Kristen is a 5-5 guard from Ottawa (Ohio)-Glandorf High School - Coach Selhorst's alma mater. Kristen averaged 11.3 points per game as a junior as Ottawa-Glandorf went 16-9 and reached the district tournament championship game.
* Keragan Niehoff - Keragan is a 5-11 forward from Rushville (Ind.) Consolidated High School. Keragan averaged 11.2 points and 11.2 rebounds per game as a junior for Rushville's Class 3A Final Four team.
* Brooke Packer - Brooke is a 5-11 forward from East Central High School in St. Leon., Ind. Brooke averaged 10.1 points and 7.9 rebounds per game as a junior for an East Central team that went 17-4 and won a conference championship.
* Kayla Shaffer - Kayla is a 5-10 guard/forward from Culver (Ind.) Community High School. Kayla averaged 16.1 points and 5.3 rebounds per game and was a first-team all-conference and first-team all-area honoree as a junior.
* Tory Shrum - Tory is a 5-11 center from Randolph Southern High School in Lynn who also is a sophomore at IU East. Tory averaged 16.7 points and 6.7 rebounds per game as a senior at Randolph Southern and played for Purdue University Calumet's NAIA Division II National Tournament qualifying team last year.
* Kinsey Siler - Kinsey is a 5-11 forward from Centerville (Ind.) High School who currently is a sophomore at IU East. Kinsey finished her career with 1,305 career points and averaged 16.8 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.1 blocks per game as a senior at Centerville.
Selhorst expects to add at least one additional signee in early December.
IU East this past February announced plans to add an NAIA women's basketball program. The team will begin NAIA competition during the 2014-15 school year.
Look for individual profiles of the 11 signees in the coming days at iueredwolves.com.
|IU East at||12:00pm|
|Indiana University-South Bend||EST|
|IU East at||7:00pm|
|University of Northwestern Ohio||EST|
|IU East at||5:30pm|
|University of Rio Grande at||11:00am|
|IU East at||1:00pm|
|University of Cincinnati-Clermont||EST|
|IU East at||1:00pm|
|Indiana University Kokomo||EST|
|Brescia University at||6:00pm|
|IU East at||7:00pm|
|Alice Lloyd College at||1:00pm|
|Indiana University Southeast at||8:00pm|