PITTSBURGH, Pa. - Tyler Hoodlebrink won the Men's Outstanding Field Athlete of the Year to highlight the day for the Indiana University East track and field teams at the River States Conference meet on April 29 at the Robert Morris University Island Sports Center.
Hoodlebrink won the hammer throw and finished second in the shot put and discus. He set IU East outdoor school records in all three events.
IU East finished fourth in the men's and women's team standings.
* Tyler Hoodlebrink made his event-winning hammer toss of 43.80 meters on his first attempt. He came up with clutch throws late in the discus and shot put competitions. He jumped from seventh to second in the discus on his last throw with a heave of 39.94 meters. He also posted his best mark in the shot put (15.03 meters) on his final attempt.
* Seth Reynolds took first place in the men's 110 meter hurdles with a time of 14.97.
* Hoodlebrink, Reynolds, Spivey and Mackenzie Boles earned all-River States Conference honors on the strength of top-three finishes in individual events.
* The University of Rio Grande claimed the men's and women's team titles
* The meet was delayed by a thundershower for about two hours in the early afternoon.
The IU East women lowered the outdoor school records in seven events:
* Mackenzie Boles leaped 5.10 meters in the women's high jump to earn all-conference honors by one centimeter.
* Kate Albertson lowered her own school record in the 800 meter run to 2:30.59 and placed fourth.
* Kaylee Simpson threw the hammer 30.96 meters to score in the event.
* Sarah Hornak lowered her 400 meter dash school record to 1:04.62.
"Going in to this meet, I had three goals, none of which had to do with placing. I wanted a 15-meter shot throw, a 40-meter discus throw, and a 40-meter hammer throw. I managed to reach all of those - minus discus, but was only a few centimeters off - and everything else just fell into place. To be honest, I never expected to make podium in anything but shot put, let alone win the event I practiced the least this year, the hammer.
"In the end, I couldn't have asked for a better finish to my track career, especially with this team." - IU East's Tyler Hoodlebrink
Some IU East athletes will compete at the Indiana University Billy Hayes Invitational on May 5.
|IU East at||2:45 pm|
|Day 2 - NAIA National Championships|
|IU East at||4:30 pm|
|Day 3 - NAIA National Championships|